For me there are few things more reminiscent of summer than watermelon and rose. So naturally I decided to combine the two with my go to summer entertaining cocktail, sangria!
Sangria is one of those make ahead in a pitcher cocktails that is as easy as it is refreshing. This recipe has the added benefit of also being beautifully pink and sparkly and brimming with watermelon-ey flavor. What could be better?
Pair this delicious libation with everything from lobster rolls, to bbq ribs and chicken, fish tacos, or to make burgers and hotdogs extra special.
Don’t forget to plan ahead to make the big ice cubes. They keep the sangria cold forever without watering it down. I have a silicon mold I ordered on Amazon which I love. I added ginger ale to mine for a little extra sweetness but you can also create them with watermelon juice or water. If you choose to use the ginger ale, allow it to sit for a bit to get a little flat. Otherwise it will overflow in your freezer.
What you'll need:
- 1 bottle sparkling Rosé wine
- 1 cup of watermelon puree
- 1/2 cup watermelon in small cubes (for ice)
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries or any fruit combination you prefer
- 1 cup flat ginger ale, watermelon juice or water.
What you'll do:
- In a large silicon ice mold, divide the berries and cubed watermelon. Add the flat ginger ale, watermelon juice or water, and freeze until solid. At least 6 hours or overnight depending on your freezer.
- In a large glass pitcher add the watermelon puree and fruit ice. Pour the bottle of cold sparkling rose and mix gently to combine. Serve immediately.
I used a combination of berries in my ice cubes but you can use anything you have on hand. Peaches and pineapple work beautifully as well.
So gather a group of friends, light up that grill, and enjoy the longer summer days while sipping on a refreshing glass of watermelon rose sangria!
In partnership with the Watermelon Board