Watermelon & Honey Lavender Ice Cream
For National Watermelon Day I wanted to create something simple but also really different. So I decided to marry two of my favorite flavors: watermelon and lavender. To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure how this “marriage” would work out but holy cow… It was a match made in heaven! I impressed myself with this one… Watermelon and Honey Lavender Ice Cream! Yup! And best of all, no special equipment needed.
It’s a super simple, super creamy, no churn recipe. If you really like the flavor of lavender which is a little floral and a little herby... I would steep the heavy cream for at least 8 hours. If you want just a little hint of lavender flavor, steep for 3 hours. The flavor combination is rich and refreshing and really fun and unexpected. I hope you make it and share it with family and friends. I am certain everyone will enjoy it as much as I did.
What you'll need:
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- 1/4 cup food grade lavender
- 2 tbs honey
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch fine salt
- 1 cup finely chopped seedless watermelon
What you'll do:
- Combine the heavy cream and lavender in a large bowl cover with plastic wrap and allow to steep for at least 4 hours or overnight. Strain the cream making certain to remove any stray lavender buds.
- Whisk together the condensed milk, honey and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Whip the lavender infused cream with a mixer on medium-high speed until firm peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture with a rubber spatula until combined, then fold the lightened mixture into the whipped cream until well blended.
- Pour into a chilled 9-by-5-by-3-inch metal loaf pan, and freeze, covered, until thick and creamy, like soft-serve, about 3 hours.
- Carefully fold in the chopped watermelon. Stir lightly so that some of the watermelon pieces remain intact.
- Continue to freeze, covered, until solid and scoopable, about 3 hours more.
- Serve and enjoy!
In partnership with the Watermelon Board